Sunday, March 13, 2011

Goodbye Deodorant

As most of you know Andrew and I are pretty health conscience we watch what we eat & drink and when we had Rhys we didn't get any vaccinations, I nursed & made baby food we also use clothe diapers.  So last night I decided every month I wanted to get even healthier with things that we use that aren't good for us.  I have been having issues with deodorant now for years about 7 years ago I found some lumps which really scared me they went away eventually but I always wondered if my deodorant had something to do with it. Every night I would wash it off before I went to bed and even when I shower I try to get as much off as I can but it seems like my pores are so clogged with it that it never really comes off totally.  So I started doing some extensive research and here a small amount of what I have found.



Dr. Mercola - There are certain metals that are toxic to humans; they are poison and most people do not understand this. They are NOT nutrients in small quantities -- if anything they are anti-nutrients. What are these commonly misunderstood toxins?  Mercury, fluoride, and aluminum. You don’t need any of these poisons in your body, so remember to avoid them. Unfortunately, if you use antiperspirants, you are most likely exposing yourself to aluminum -- the metal that’s been linked to Alzheimer’s disease and now possibly breast cancer. Aluminum salts can account for 25 percent of the volume of some antiperspirants. Antiperspirants work by clogging, closing, or blocking the pores that release sweat under your arms -- with the active ingredient being aluminum. Not only does this block one of your body’s routes for detoxification (releasing toxins via your underarm sweat), but it raises concerns about where these heavy metals are going once you roll them (or spray them) on. Given that antiperspirants are used on your armpits, the aluminum salt concentration is highest near your breast tissue. Further, when women shave under their arms it can result in a higher aluminum-salt absorption rate due to the damaged skin. The aluminum in antiperspirants has been linked to breast cancer before. Fortunately, reducing your exposure is pretty simple -- simply ditch your antiperspirant and deodorant. So if you wouldn’t eat something you would put on your skin, I would advise not using it.



I personally can't imagine going without deodorant so then I researched how to make natural deodorant.  To be honest I was a little nervous because many articles I read said as your body detoxified itself from the chemicals in your pores from your deodorant that you might sweat more and smell.  Well to my surprise I made my deodorant and put it on this morning and I still feel fresh.  It's crazy that the chemicals in our deodorant actually make us smell worse than our own body sweating I never knew that the odor came from your pores releasing the chemical deposits from your deodorant.  I will keep ya posted on how this goes but so far so good =)

2 comments:

  1. i haven't been wearing (or when i HAVE to, its a natural deoderant) for about two years now. i'd be really interested in knowing how to make your own, can you share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly you are always a step ahead of me with this kind of stuff =) I posted the recipe for ya

    ReplyDelete